Nach Deutschland

Thursday, October 26, 2006

It Has to be Done

Okay, so I thought I would just keep this topic to myself, I mean, who talks about their indoor cycling class on their blog? Well, I’m going to, so paß auf.

Back in September when I started, it seemed pretty normal. The guy played all dub music the first day, and shook everyone’s hand at the end, but other than that it was typical. Then, one day I come into class, and there is a movie of marine life being shown on the wall. It’s a silent movie, dolphins, whales, a few polar bears. I dunno, maybe marine mammals are supposed to help you increase your exertion level. It’s fine. I’m excited because I’ve just been to the aquarium and know how to say “hammerhead” in German.

Then I come in and there are swirling multicolored disco lights spinning on the ceiling, and music videos playing on the wall. They’re really old videos, from the eighties maybe, and the people singing are not the people we are listening to in class. It’s kind of strange, but again, no big deal, something to look at while pedaling.

Today though, I go into the spinning room and it’s Halloween spinning. Okay, music from Rocky Horror, okay, free gummi bears, but no, no, no, it’s much, much more than that. First of all, all of the bikes have been rearranged to make room for the giant Styrofoam tombstones which have been painted gray and say things like “Sir Balsam I: nosebleed,” and “Kurt Cobain.” On the windowsill there are strobe lights and lava lamps, and lots of rubber monster heads with glowing eyes. In the corner are more rubber heads, really creepy, and also a big pile of rubber body parts, all painted to look like they’re bloody. On the wall (where the marine mammals usually are), is a huge banner with a giant leering jack-o-lantern. They don’t even trick-or-treat in this country!

I would also like to just add that though it is a bit odd, there are two awesome things about my gym. One, is that there is a free self-service sports drink bar (I know, I don’t like sports drinks, but still!). The other (and infinitely better) thing, is that there is a real bar, where you can stop for a beer and a nice bowl of chili after (or before, or during, or instead of) your workout. Good times!

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home