Nach Deutschland

Monday, November 06, 2006

It's Not Easy Being Mean

A German friend sent me an e-mail the other day asking me if I’d gotten used to the “German Unfriendliness” yet:
Wow, you Americans are always so
nice! We Germans do not fuss about being very nice when we want to bring
across a message, we just say it and that's the way it is. Besides, we
like to be a bit nasty sometimes (or at least, me and my friends do like
to)... which is meant to be funny.
I guess I’m generally a pretty nice person (too nice, I’ve even been told a few times), so today while I was in the grocery store, I thought to myself, “you know, this could really be a good opportunity for you to practice being meaner.”
The word “mean” makes me think of throwing rocks and poking old ladies, and I didn’t really feel up to that just yet. I know you will laugh, but I started small. Ahem.

So, there I was waiting in line with my groceries when it came time to put them on the belt. There was a big line of people behind me, and normally when that happens, I try and go really fast, but this time I just took my time: one-handed, one item at a time. Oh, but that’s not all. Normally once I’ve put my groceries on the belt I get one of those plastic divider things put it behind my groceries so that the person behind me can put her stuff on the belt too. This time though, I didn’t. There were plenty of divider things, all in a row up near the cashier, but I just ignored them. I even tried to stand in the way a little so she wouldn’t be tempted to reach past me. I know, it sounds really dumb, but I had to jam my hands into my pockets and concentrate on *not* getting a divider. Every part of my being wanted to reach up and get one of those stupid plastic things. It was a very stressful three-and-a-half minutes.

Don’t give up on me. I’m going to keep at it.

2 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha! Excellent! Next time, cut in front of someone while pretending you didn't see them and then take an extra long time to pay and bag your groceries.

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J, you're the meanest person I know! ;-)

Best way to take extra long over paying for groceries (I think) is to use a combination of coupons, small change and postage stamps. When you discover that your coupons are valid for a different business and that you're a few pfennigs short in any case, produce a chequebook, ask repeatedly for a pen and then fill it out wrong so you have to amend it.

Do all this while talking loudly on a mobile phone and behaving as if you're totally unaware of the existence of anyone besides yourself and the person on the other end of the line. There will be a murderous queue behind you by the time you eventually leave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home